[Board] OSGeo board, F2F Meeting in India

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 4 19:36:28 PST 2010

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Thanks for the response Chris.  I might change the word "hardship" to
> "not within your budget", but otherwise I agree with your opinions.  I
> guess it comes down to fundraising (and we've come full circle in our
> discussions again)...but still it can't hurt to throw our
> thoughts/beliefs out there (maybe mine come off too strong sometimes, I
> apologize).

Folks,

For the record, I would be satisfied with us achieving one face to face
meeting per year of the board with as many members there as possible.
To me, FOSS4G seems like the most natural venue for that face to face
meeting.  I am supportive of OSGeo paying modest travel expenses for
directors that would not otherwise be able to attend.

Like Chris, I'm not convinced that flying the whole board to India is going
to bring immense value to the movement in India.  I am also personally
very aware of the opportunity cost in lost consulting time (and family
time) involved in traveling long distance for face to face meetings, and
it should not be assumed that directors such as me are willing to take on
even those opportunity costs.

On a personal note, my ex-wife noted today that my income dropped roughly
30-40% starting in 2005 - essentially coincident with the launch of OSGeo
and me spending significant amounts of time on OSGeo related activities.  I
don't really regret that, and I feel like much has been accomplished.  But
I also reserve the right to decide what aspects of our activities I'm going
to apply my time to, and how much I can spare.