[Board] Renaming the LiveGIS Disc as OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 12:35:13 PDT 2010

OSGeo Marketing and OSGeo Board,

Us LiveDVD packagers are looking to rename our packaging project and the
Disc that we distribute as "OSGeo-Live", accessable at http://live.osgeo.org

Before we lay claim to this name, I'd like to give the OSGeo Marketing
Committee and OSGeo Board the opportunity to raise any concerns with our
use of the "OSGeo" name, and if objections are strong enough, we can
pick a different name.

So please speak up now if you have a concern, or objection.
Otherwise vote positively to: "Should the LiveDVD be renamed as
"OSGeo-Live"?

+1 Cameron, LiveDVD group, Marketing committee member.

As background:
* The Live DVD packages up many of the OSGeo projects on a liveDVD, as
well as other Open Source GeoSpatial applications.

* We will likely encourage projects to at least join OSGeo Labs, but
this will likely not be enforced in the short term. So we will have
packages on the disc which are not associated with OSGeo.

* Our focus to date has been on providing a DVD for conferences (most
notably FOSS4G)

* In future there will likely be other focuses for the DVD, or
derivitives of it, which focus on training material, documentation,
specific project(s) distributions.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager