[Board] Delta-3D

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Sat Sep 18 03:26:06 PDT 2010

Other interesting opportunities have presented themselves:

http://www.delta3d.org/

Perry McDonald (Delta3D) wrote:

> Mark –
>
> I am the Executive Director of Delta3D, an open source game engine we’ve created here at NPS.  We are investigating transferring control of it to another organization because we are limited in what we can do in our role as a government research lab, and John mentioned that you might have some insight on how to make that happen.
>
> I’ve looked at the OSGeo website and I don’t know if a game engine would qualify as a potential project for OSGeo.  If so, I would like to talk about that possibility.  Either way, I am more interested in any lessons on creating such a consortium that you might have learned or any other advice you would be willing to share.
>
> If possible, I would like to discuss this with you sometime next week.  If that doesn’t work out, would it be possible to ask you some questions via e-mail?
>
> Thanks.
> Perry

 I think finding a home for Delta3D within OSGeo might lead to some very interesting solutions.  I'd support bringing them under the umbrella of OSSIM or setting up as a new OSGeo project.

I promised Perry that I'd get back to him once I return to the US later this month.

Mark