[Board] NGA Open Source Initiative

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Sun Sep 4 10:01:33 PDT 2011

I've been working with Tyler and Peter on this over the last couple of months, but would like to expand the discussion to the rest of the board.

The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), is a member of the US Intelligence community.  This agency previously evolved from the Defense Mapping Agency, the National Photographic Intelligence Center (NPIC) merged into the National Intelligence and Mapping Agency.  Gen Clapper was the Director of NIMA when it became the NGA - he is now the Director of National Intelligence (DNI).

The intelligence budgets are classified.  It is my opinion that the NGA spends more on geospatial technologies than any other agency in the world.  It is also no secret that the US federal budgets are lined up take significant cuts.  There is a realization that current acquisition programs to not provide the technical agility required to meet modern day threats.

I'm involved in a program to rapidly introduce open source software into NGA.  The attached document was approved for public release.

I'm attempting to link this effort with the OSGeo foundation.  We'll have a brief session at the foss4g conference to talk about it.