[Board] CRO rules

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 9 07:25:22 PDT 2012

On 12-08-09 07:17 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Best of luck to all the nominees for the OSGeo Board election [1].
> I will be voting shortly.
>
> I had specifically requested on the OSGeo-board list for Chief Returning
> Officers (CROs) to
> refrain from any electioneering activity in OSGeo Elections [2].
>
> I would like to propose that for future elections, CRO should be chosen from
> organizations
> outside OSGeo or persons who is not OSGeo Charter Members in order to maintain
> ballot secrecy.

Venka,

I would not be supportive of putting some outside party in charge
of this important function.

> Why should some charters members (which includes the past and present
> CROs) know how I, as a charter member, have expressed my preferences?
>
> Hope the above points is considered in future OSGeo elections.

I would be supportive of using some sort of externally hosted web software
to facilitate secret voting if there are a number of charter members who
are concerned about keeping their votes secret.   It is not a concern of
mine.  However, this will introduce substantial additional complexity into
the process so there would have to be some pressing need and a volunteer
to make it happen to justify the effort (IMHO).