[Board] Resignation from Board

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Tue Feb 7 08:26:55 PST 2012

Hi Michael and others,

Thanks for your email. I personally, and I think we as an OSGeo community will all respect Jeff's privacy. Jeff has always been careful on what to say and what not to say on public discussions to avoid any harm to the community and conference. However, you'll understand that it is hard for me to be satisfied with your response. You raised the same point earlier on that his travel was approved by a board motion. In reaction to that Jeff decided to forward a private board email that made it clear he was upset on how he was treated (see: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-January/009364.html ).

Without going into the discussion of who was right and who was wrong, I think it is in the interest of the community to be transparent about the reason why this issue was not resolved? We all see that the FOSS4G2012 progress is not what we expect and we likely all have great concerns about that. Jeff may have been able to help out on this by going to Beijing. There was friction, which is not a problem in itself. But it should have been resolved, some kind of solution should have come out of that and we as a community should know about that.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not finger-pointing or dramatizing the impact of Jeff's decision. Instead I am honestly concerned from my (!) community and business perspective. FOSS4G and OSGeo are important to me in many ways, I'm convinced we can not afford to see the conference nor the community fall apart because of unresolved issues. Can I encourage the board or someone else to stand up and try to mediate here? Or do you leave this as is and come up with a clear plan or statement of where we are going with FOSS4G in the future? What's the vision of the board and where's the action?

Thanks for listening, cheers,
Jeroen