[Board] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: Foss4g 2012 ???

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed May 2 10:18:17 PDT 2012

On 02.05.2012 18:58, nicolas bozon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I agree Peter,
>
> However, OSGeo and Board should probably focuss on Beijing that
> will happen, before advertizing Nottingham or Helsinki. I mean, is
> there a way that board and community should try to 'save' that next
> foss4g ? At least to get a real website, some calls for
> papers/sponsors and may be a few attendees from EU or US, not only
> people from China or Asia; it should be possible, even in 4/5
> months ? am i wrong or desparate ?

Thanks for chiming in, Nick.

Yes, you are desperate - as we are. We have been trying to get a
website work over the past three months - to no avail. There will
still be some EU and US folks but not comparable to what we got used
to with prior FOSS4G. It will not be comparable to the previous
version of the global event - simply because we are running out of
time. Our message is intended to make this clear to potential sponsors
and to individuals and organizations who expect FOSS4G in Beijing to
be "the" event. From all that I can tell it is not even sure whether
we will be able to have a majority of the board of directors there and
the AGM - if it takes place - will likely not represent a global
representation either. Not sure whether we will have a WMS shootout,
whether there will be workshops, or who of the globally recognized
bigshot devs will be there - and all of these things need to be
addressed in the coming weeks.

Best regards,
Arnulf