[Board] Changing the name of the "AGM"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:52:39 PDT 2012

For reference, our OSGeo Bylaws state:

Section 8.2. Annual Meeting. A meeting of the members shall be held
annually at such time as the Board of Directors may determine, at which
annual meeting the members shall elect Directors to fill any vacancies
or expiring terms, and transact other proper business.

http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

Like Arnulf, I question the AGM purpose and the form it is currently taking.

Re "elect Directors" - We do an excellent job of selecting directors
virtually, (mainly via email) which doesn't happen at the AGM.
Re "transacting other proper business", I'd argue that a conference
venue, with hundreds of people in the audience, is a poor venue for
communicating and debating ideas. We do a much better job in our virtual
IRC and email forums.

Conference venues are good for broadcast communication - one person
presenting to hundreds, possibly with a back channel of limited
questions. So yes, chapter reports can be presented at conferences, but
I agree with Arnulf that it need not be called an AGM, and I'd be open
to seeing the AGM shaped into a virtual forum.