[Board] Sponsor NASA WorldWind student competition

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:10:08 PST 2013

I'm -0 on this proposal.
While I'm supportive of the concept, and would certainly be keen for
OSGeo to promote the activity, I don't think we should commit money
toward it.

Reason:
1. This event is only supporting one Open Source GIS project, NASA
WorldWind. (We prefer to support events which promote multiple OSGeo
projects)
2. NASA World Wind is not listed either as an OSGeo project, or as a
project on OSGeo-Live. If we are supporting a project, then our
community should hope to find it on OSGeo's web pages somewhere.
3. To a lesser extent: We discussed that OSGeo shouldn't be contributing
toward the cost of a booth at a conference event, but rather toward the
cost of materials for us to set up a booth. I think that such
sponsorship falls into a similar category. (Although I do acknowledge
that the event is finding co-sponsorship, which is a plus).