[Board] Suggested text for "Expectations for Board Membership"

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Aug 13 09:05:46 PDT 2014

Hi Jeff,

Right, so if this is what the majority expects, let's write it down.
I fear that there are many people who probably expect much more (you don't
know any? ;-) ... maybe even candidates, who would like to become a board
member think it's a lot more work and therefore refuse to become a
candidate.

Better to have this clarified and visible somewhere, no?
If it's just these two lines, it's even not worth to discuss long about it
;-)

Daniel

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> For the record, I am involved in a lot of offline talks lately inviting
> others to join the Board, and when I am asked about commitment I simply
> answer with two things:
>
> - attend the Board meeting on IRC, once a month, usually around the second
> Thursday of the month, for one hour
>
> - be open and share your thoughts on foundation discussions on the [Board]
> mailing list
>
> Beyond that, as we are all volunteers, I don't think we can ask for more.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2014-08-13 12:30 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>
>> I agree with Michael, that it's a good idea to write down the
>> expectations, and I don't think the timing is a big issue.
>> Because it's not a bad but a good thing for board members to know what
>> the community expects from them.
>>
>> If OSGeo goes well, then it's very easy for the board to justify that
>> they did a good job. But if troubles occur or there is a lot of work but
>> not much visibility, then it's easy to blame the board. Having some
>> expectations defined before is for each board members safety and to have
>> some rough guideline.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Jeff McKenna
>> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     I must admit, when I first glanced at this initial message early in
>>     the morning my thoughts in my head were 'this is the wrong time, in
>>     the middle of the Board election, to start defining roles'.  The
>>     time for this should have been before asking nominees.
>>
>>     Regarding clarifications about the expectations of being a Board
>>     member, could those vocal in this thread (Cameron, Frank, Daniel,
>>     mpg) mind drafting a new page on these expectations, and the new
>>     Board in September can review it and edit accordingly?
>>
>>     However my experience tells me that we must be very careful with
>>     expectations, within a volunteer organization.
>>
>>     -jeff
>>

>>     On 2014-08-13 11:48 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>>
>>         +1 to Cameron here from me too. He's trying to clarify the
>>         expectations of a board member, not setting any rules - these
>>         are good things to be thinking about as we all think about the
>>         next round of Board Members.
>>
>>         .mpg
>>
>>             On Aug 13, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Daniel Morissette
>>             <dmorissette at mapgears.com <mailto:dmorissette at mapgears.com>>
>>
>>             wrote:
>>
>>             I don't think Cameron is inventing or changing any rules, he
>>             is just proposing to collectively document what is and has
>>             always been expected from a board member for the posterity.
>>
>>             FWIW I am also in favor of documenting our processes and
>>             expectations (in general) as much as possible to help future
>>             boards in their work, and I find that Cameron has
>>             exceptional patience to help with that documentation process
>>             (he managed to walk the membership to a consensus on the new
> [...]

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.info