[Board] ICC 2015 in Rio de Janeiro

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jul 28 13:52:16 PDT 2014

I agree with Gerald that having a booth at this ICC event and a visible
presence is very important.  As Suchith mentioned, we do have a strong
representation in Brazil of ICA-OSGeo labs, so I would hope we can
leverage those local leaders to help make the booth happen.  I will
contact Georg Gartner and get his thoughts on this (OSGeo booth, OSGeo
presence, OSGeo as a 'partner' on the conference site).

As an aside, taking a look at the opening page of the ICC event site
(http://www.icc2015.org/), it sure is made very very clear that this event
is the flagship event for the International Cartographic Association -
it's mentioned in the second line of text; the welcoming letter from Georg
really sets the tone for the event being their ICA event.  Take a second
to review our FOSS4G Portland opening page and look for any OSGeo
reference (https://2014.foss4g.org/) - you'll have to pan all the way down
the page to the very bottom and notice a very bland small font text
"FOSS4G 2014 is a production of the OSGeo organization." - doesn't exactly
make one think it is *the* OSGeo event.  We have lots to learn from the
ICA community indeed.

-jeff