[Board] projects mailing list

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Thu Oct 2 06:06:44 PDT 2014

Hello all,
I think this is an important topic and we should think of updating the www.osgeo.org web site.

From my point of view we have a lot of material available in the wiki format, let say the most recent/up-to-date content is in this form. We have all the users subscribed there already they know how to fill or create the content they want.
Nevertheless, I don’t think that it is a good idea to use the wiki design for the www.osgeo.org.
So we should probably think of a solution "in-the-middle", for instance a solution which is able to transform the wiki pages content in well designed web pages.
We do something like this for the ZOO-Project, Frog and FOSS4G-FR web sites for instance, but using the Trac System as a backend rather than mediawiki.

Despite what will be the decision on how to change or update the web site, I think that it is also important that we have some design for integrating the content in the chosen content management system afterward.
We may expect contributions of the community for this. Starting by a « call for the next OSGeo design » then a vote to elect the new design can be a good way to go.

Obviously, it may be difficult to run the call for design without having any clear plan for handling the web site...

Best regards,