[Board] Polling charter members

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Fri Sep 19 08:25:18 PDT 2014

I also agree with Steven and Michael.

I have no problem with a model where OSGeo gets funds from the main conference (which I think we could actually expand if we abandon the current model) and then spends some of them to help with smaller conferences.

What we lack is a clear vision for what we’re trying to do with the conferences.

I imagine a model like this, which I shared with some at the conference:

International Conference: large sponsorship, kind of expensive, many people (1000+), significant surpluses
Larger Regional Conferences: medium sponsorship, cheaper, fewer people (~500), expected to be in the black and return surpluses
Medium Regional Conferences: some sponsorship, cheap, small attendance (200-500), not necessarily expected to be profitable
Small Local Conferences: little to no sponsorship, free or very cheap admission, attendance of <200, not expected to return profits

Examples:

LRC: FOSS4G-NA, FOSS4G-E
MRC: FOSS4G-Korea, FOSS4G-Argentina
SLC: No examples, but imagine FOSS4G-East Africa, FOSS4G-Jakarta

As it is now, we’ve relied on active volunteers to make a conference. I want to see OSGeo trying to break into new regions, spread the word, and maybe inspire some future volunteers. I’d love to see OSGeo subsidizing FOSS4G-East Africa — maybe pay to send some “big names” to help generate interest. At the smaller conferences, I’d heavily emphasize inexpensive workshops, and if OSGeo was running enough of them, you could generate common educational materials to share between them, and you’d be doing the workshops often enough that they’d be easy to keep current. Cheap workshops can help subsidize the regular conference attendance.

Lest it sound like I’m advocating that OSGeo become primarily a conference organizer, that’s not my intention at all. I think the emphasis should be on the workshops and other education resources. At larger conferences code sprints are good to add. These are all things that expand and strengthen the community.

I have more thoughts, but I should probably get to work, so I’ll send this now.

Darrell