[Board] Applying for OSGeo sponsorship for GRASS Community Sprint 2015 in Como

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:45:31 PDT 2015

Dear Board,

I would like to apply for a sponsorship by OSGeo for the upcoming GRASS
Community Sprint [1] that will be held after the FOSS4G-Europe 2015.
Following the guidelines [2], I hereby provide the following information:

*Basic Information*
Audience: how many people are expected? ~20 people.
Region: is the sprint localized to a specific region? It's a global event.
Projects: is the sprint to work on just one specific project, or is it for
multiple projects? It's mainly focused on GRASS, but will benefit of the
presence of developers from other projects such as QGIS, GDAL, Mapserver,
pyWPS, PostGIS, R statistics, Sextante, gvSIG, OGC Services, and more.
Length: how many days will the sprint cover? The GRASS community sprint
will cover 5 days, from 18th July to 22nd July. There is the possibility
for all willing people to extend / merge the event into the OSGeo code
sprint [3]
Venue: where will the sprint be held? will food be provided? will overnight
lodging be provided? The sprint follows the FOSS4G-EU Conference (July 14th
- 17th 2015) Como, Italy, and will be held in the LAPS room of Como Campus
(Valleggio building, 1st floor). With the sponsors' donations we will try
to cover some expenses for meals and accommodation.

*Expected Budget*
Where is the prospective budget published? Provide a link to a publicly
accessible resource (e.g. wiki). The prospective budget shall list the
levels/amounts of forecasted sponsorship, and show that OSGeo is providing
matching funds.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oEUNeY9SZ9v-lcNNSSlE67-20onjuw_YAEZjr3VM7Z8/edit?usp=sharing

The budget shall contain the following information:
what is the expected registration fee, if any, for each attendee? No
registration fees
what is the expected amount of third-party sponsorships? From an average
estimation on the basis of past events' experience, e.g. [4], we can expect
from 1000 up to 2500 euro
what in-kind donations are expected (such as donated use of a conference
room)? Donated use of conference room
what is the desired amount of OSGeo sponsorship? 1500 euro
what is the expected cost per attendee, for travel, lodging, and food?
Pricing in Como in July is to be expected slightly higher than average, due
to the high season in a very popular touristic destination. In addition, it
is relatively close to the Expo 2015 event. We are planning to rent one or
more apartments to share, in order to contain the costs for accommodation.
what is the expected cost for the venue (such as conference room, wifi
support, snacks, etc)? The use of the room is kindly offered by the Campus.
In average the overall cost of GRASS community sprints has been kept very
low. Snacks and drinks are to be provided by sponsorship.

*Profit / Loss / Risk*
What is the expected profit of the event, if any? where will any surplus
money go? There is no expected profit. We don't expect any surplus, but if
any, it will be kept for a future code sprint.
Under what circumstances might the event incur a loss? how will this risk
be mitigated? In the case that sponsors' donations would be low, the
remaining costs will be covered by the participants.

Thank you and best regards.

[1] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Como_2015
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference-Europe_2015-Como/Code_sprint
[4] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2013

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.