[Board] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Apr 22 05:15:10 PDT 2015

Bart,

I am referring to how Cameron pressured the OSGeo Board to respond to
this before announcing, and then seeing that he contacted media directly
beforehand.  I/we spent good effort debating this as requested, only to
see it flying around the media with Cameron quotes anyway.  And I didn't
even read a quote from Martin, that part was lost in the frenzy.

-jeff

On 2015-04-22 9:01 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> can you please clarify what you mean by "supporting a single person's agenda” ?
>
> Are you referring to Martin here?
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
>> On 22 Apr 2015, at 13:52, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>>
>> Cameron, I personally don't appreciate supporting a single person's agenda, and was shocked yesterday to see strong quotes by you all over the media before the agreed time to release.
>>
>> I stand by my reaction.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2015-04-21 8:59 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>> In answer to your questions about my motives and why I was quoted in media:
>>>
>>> I feel passionately about the importance of Open Standards. I believe
>>> they are fundamental to interoperability, go hand-in-glove with Open
>>> Source.
>>> When I watched the heated discussing about the injustice being applied
>>> to LiDAR standards, as documented  by Martin, I offered to help. I
>>> helped in the writing and reviewing an Open Letter, along with Suchith,
>>> Patrick and Martin. One of the things that Martin mentioned was that he
>>> was having difficulty getting traction in the mass media. I have
>>> contacts in the Australian IT media, and  offered to make use of those
>>> to get the story out.
>>>
>>> I think you are asking why I was quoted in the media and not you?
>>> 1. I contacted them.
>>> 2. I helped write the Open Letter [1] and worked with people who
>>> provided feedback. I also wrote follow up blog post [2], which makes it
>>> easy for an author to quote someone.
>>> 3. I'm local (in Australia) and local media like to quote locals.
>>> 4. Martin was quoted as well.
>>> 5. Jeff, you might not have been contacted because I pointed the
>>> Australian IT author to the board email list, where you might remember
>>> the board was slow (in media time) to respond to a request for board
>>> support for the Open Letter, and when you first responded, you were
>>> initially hesitant about supporting the Open Letter.
>>>
>>> I'm a little hurt and disappointed that the OSGeo President would find
>>> it "disturbing" that a local OSGeo member was quoted in local media. I
>>> feel like local efforts are not being supported?
>>>
>>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter
>>> [2]
>>> http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/esris-claim-at-being-good-standards.html

Jeff McKenna