[Board] motions from June 18 meeting - making OSGeo Charter membership more exclusive

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 07:08:27 PDT 2015

Hi,

although I am all in favor of an inclusive community, I see a point in the
proposal of thresholding. Currently, as a voting charter member, when I'm
presented with a candidate, I have the opportunity to include (YES) or
exclude (NO) him/her , and this makes sense when I know him/her and their
work. What if I don't have idea?  I would abstain. Particularly, what might
be the reasons that might lead me to say NO to this candidate? I would say
it should be a good reason.
I don't remember very well the conditions given last year for the voting
procedure, but I propose to give 3 opportunities for voting each candidate:
YES (+1) , NO (-1) or ABSTAIN (0).
This makes me think that if a considerable amount of people is voting a
decided NO, there should be a reason why the candidate should not be
awarded as a charter member and the reason isn't the fact that he/she is
not popular enough (remember, if you don't know him/her, you can just
abstain).

My 2 cents

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.