[Board] Responding to emails

Michael Smith michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com
Thu May 7 04:42:57 PDT 2015

OK, Jeff, you've convinced me to respond.

I generally follow the "Bart model". I will respond when I think I have
something useful to add but not just if I'm in general agreement.

I do strongly support Jeff's position that requests need to be public and
not just private emails to the president. And I agree that its not always
clear that some emails are requests for the board to "do something" as
opposed to just keeping the board informed on activity.

I do support the Open Letter but, like Jeff, would have preferred it not
target a specific company but instead focus on the benefits on keeping a
format open. I think the recent Geo-Hipster interview
(http://geohipster.com/2015/05/04/martin-isenburg-may-the-foss-be-with-laz/
) highlighted something that wasn't in the open letter, namely the use of
a format in the browser environment, eg, laz-perf, an javascript port of
the laz format
(http://groups.google.com/d/topic/lastools/BBQq2y1Ex8A/discussion) . This
isn't something that can be done in a closed format and really highlights
the differences quickly.

Mike

----
Michael Smith