[Board] [geoforall-ab] IMPORTANT - feedback and vote will be needed: geo4all relationship

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 11:32:15 PST 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 04:58, Suchith Anand <Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> GeoforAll was officially created through various MoUs by OSGeo. OSGeo is
> the parent organisation for Geo4All  as only OSGeo  can make any MoUs with
> external organisations for Geo4All (ICA, ISPRS and more MoUs with UCGIS etc
> are in various stages).
>

> If OSGeo Board wants , GeoforAll  can explicitly add in the criteria that
> OSGeo software is the primary focus (it is already implicit that any
> university establishing Open Source Geospatial Labs is using OSGeo software
> anyway and promoting open data, open standards, open educational resources
> etc.) BUT we should not exclude any  Free and open source used for
> education and should welcome all who are following Open principles in
> GeoEducation. In OSGeo Education we have been using other free and open
> source software  (R etc) and including course materials etc for long time.

Can I repeat, this is about promoting open source use and participation  -
there has never been any request to restrict promotion to a specific list
of projects. I do not want this assumption made even implicitly :)

The wiki page used R as an example specifically to address this
misunderstanding - is there any way we can be more clear.

Can I ask where you got this impression from? It is very troubling to me as
it misrepresents what OSGeo is for.
--
Jody