[Board] Motion: 2016 Financial Agreement

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Thu Sep 10 08:43:14 PDT 2015

-1
Maxi

This new motion on a modified version of the agreement between OSGeo and
FOSSGIS do not find my agreement.

Rational for my vote is:

A) past events do not seems to have been guarantee, so this is not the
common practice adopted in the past but rather a strong change in OSGeo
policy

B) I would make, as I have already proposed, the way around: no guarantee
but possible in future if approved by the board (not guarantee and then
some reserve to modify it)

1) The board has not been provided with sufficient information regarding
past events to evaluate the current request (I need to see a summary for
each past event of: seed money, guarantees, fee, total expenses, total
 income, profit, OSGeo revenue)

 2) I don't think OSGeo should be exposed for more then 1 FOSS4G event at
the same time: it increase the risks and 1 year for event organization I
believe is enough. (Next time it could be 100k * 2)

3) The 2015 FOSS4G event relies on a USD 40,000 seed money which is also
the OSGeo guarantee. We know from past experiences that FOSS4G is more
risky when organized outside Europe or USA, nevertheless we didn't provided
such a guarantee in 2015, thus to be fair I don't think we shall provide it
now without a deep discussion.

4) Finally (this is more a my common sense evaluation) I don't think it is
raccomandable to take big budget decisions that may affect the coming board
members activities just one week before of the elections.

*I strongly believe that this decision, involving such a great amount of
money, should be postponed and submitted to the new board after the
elections and only having a clear vision of what was the procedure followed
in the past years. In fact, this decision will draw the line to be followed
in the future for every international FOSS4G events.*

Therefore I make a new motion: to provide 50,000 USD to Advance and NO
GUARANTEE exceeding the seed money as per below:

(I cannot make direct changes in the document because only PDF has been
shared,  so I'm pasting here my proposal)

=====================================================================================================================================================

*Agreement between OSGeo and FOSSGIS e.V. for finances to support FOSS4G
2016 *

*Parties*

   - The Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) of 14525 SW Millikan
   #42523 Beaverton, OR 970052343 FOSSGIS e.V.,
   - the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of FOSS4G 2016 in Bonn, Germany

*Agreement *
1.This agreement determines the financial arrangements between the LOC
and/or PCO and OSGeo.
  This agreement
    a. supersedes any other written or verbal agreement between OSGeo and
the LOC
    b. supersedes any other written or verbal agreement between LOC and the
PCO
2. The LOC has requested an Advance to cover part of the anticipated costs
of hosting the FOSS4G event (see Schedule)

*OSGeo commitments *
4. OSGeo will provide the Advance detailed in the Schedule to the LOC on
request
5. OSGeo agrees to underwrite potential losses of the Event up to the
maximum detailed in the Schedule
6. OSGeo will delegate a financial representative to join the LOC
7. OSGeo confirms that it will be possible to increase the OSGeo guarantee
by means of new amendment approved by the board

*LOC commitments *
8. The LOC will hold all Event funds in a dedicated bank account and will
maintain a full record of all income and expenditure
9. The Advance will be repaid to OSGeo by the LOC within 30 days of the end
of the Event
10. The LOC will provide a monthly report of financial matters (expenses,
receipts and forecasts)
  a. The LOC will keep the OSGeo financial representative apprised of any
financial forecasts, alterations, commitments and risks
  b. The Financial representative shall have the right to request changes
to commitments and plans and as a last resort the right to cancel this
guarantee if recommendations are not accepted
11. The LOC acknowledges that any financial liabilities in excess of the
maximum guarantee will be the responsibility of the LOC or will be insured
locally by the LOC
12. The LOC will not pay to itself (or any of its individual members) any
fees for services provided with the exception of reasonable out of pocket
expenses for travel etc.
13. The LOC agrees to remit at least 90% of any surplus generated to OSGeo
to support future events and other OSGeo activities
   a. A Surplus is defined as the net balance of revenues (delegates,
sponsors and any other sources) and expenses (venue, services, PCO etc)

Schedule
LOC FOSSGIS e.V.
PCO FOSSGIS e.V.
Event details FOSS4G 2016, Bonn, Germany
Advance payment €50,000
Additional guarantee €0
Maximum total OSGeo financial exposure €50,000
%age of event profits returned to OSGeo 90%

*Acceptance*
By their signatures below, the authorized official of each party to this
agreement represents that they are duly authorized to sign this agreement
and bind their respective organization.

For The Open Source Geospatial Foundation:
For FOSSGIS e.V. Name :

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra