[Board] Motion: 2016 Financial Agreement

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:00:25 PDT 2015

Board

For clarification, I have analysed the OSGeo/FOSS4G agreements for the last few years at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1awsek1VhXSpgca4tjT_VC_70eRYybwjZVXsY4YawJ7c/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1awsek1VhXSpgca4tjT_VC_70eRYybwjZVXsY4YawJ7c/edit?usp=sharing>

In most years OSGeo has signed an agreement with the PCO and in 2013 with the venue directly. As far as i can see none of these agreements had any cap on the liabilities of OSGeo if something went badly wrong, typically a late cancellation could expose a liability of 70-80% of costs.

I do not know whether the OSGeo board was fully aware of the commitments is was making in each year that it signed such an agreement?

The proposed agreement limited OSGeo liability to €100k, this is less of a risk than in previous years.

I suggest the conference committee makes the prospective bidders for FOSS4G 2017 aware of the uncertainty regarding financial guarantees from OSGeo so that they can factor this risk into their proposals.
______
Steven