[Board] updating about the foundation web page

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 18:06:14 PST 2016

Here is the "before <http://www.osgeo.org/node/72/revisions/3316/view>"
link if anyone wants a shortcut. Was not really looking to cut down the
goals .. but clarification if needed.

"encourage open geospatial education through participation in open
> geospatial projects;"
> could be changed to

So we have three things to communicate here
- open source geospatial
- community participation
- and the "open education" approach (think open access education materials)

> "encourage open geospatial education by leveraging foundation projects;"

Sadly that misses the "community participation" point - we are trying to
ensure education does not stop at use of open source geospatial projects.
Instead we want to ensure educational outreach makes the point about open
source participation.

In a similar fashion we need to keep educational outreach on open-source
geospatial, and not limited to foundation projects - see communications on
geoforall thread for the importance of not limiting our scope as a
foundation.

How about one of these:

a) "educational outreach championing open education curriculum development
covering participation and use of open-source geospatial"

b) "educational outreach championing participation and use of open-source
geospatial and the development of an open education curriculum"

Longer but perhaps more clear?

the two bullets below could be

> - actively engage with the likeminded communities and organziations;
> - enable communication and cooperation between OSGeo communities;
>
> concised as
>
> - actively engage with the likeminded communities and organziations
>    to promote inter-community communication and collaborations;

I agree the wording got too close for comfort between the two topics -
perhaps because of the word communities.

The first one "actively engage with the likeminded communities and
organziations" ... is EXTERNAL where we are trying to engage with external
organizations (OSM, ICA, LocationTech, Apache) using the tools we have
available - membership, MOUs, joint events, shared initiatives ...

The second one "enable communication and cooperation between OSGeo
communities" .. is INTERNAL where we want communication between the tribes
(Java,C,Python) and platforms (Win32,Linux,...).  Today the 'battle lines'
are not expressed in terms of Java and C - but the goal of encouraging
communication/collaboration remains.