[Board] f2f meeting follow up

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:38:37 PDT 2017

> 5) diversity
>
> The original intention of the travel grant was to bring diversity
> awareness to our osgeo events (to apply regional events are asked to set a
> diversity target which travel grant can help towards). During foss4g I
> attended a diversity presentation that advocated creating a safe space.
>
> *Guidance: *Trial the use of providing a safe space in the 2018 bid.
>
> Similar recommendations online include:
> - make female speakers a priority (not just in selection, but before hand
> in promotion, one-on-one mentoring etc...).
> - providing child care (this helps families attend)
>
> Since these haver not been advocated by members of our community I am only
> comfortable providing guidance on providing a safe space. Perhaps some of
> these ideas can be tried out at regional conferences first.

On reflection I am a bit uncomfortable offering guidance here - lacking the
needed perspective. I would ask that the conference committee consider
diversity as a selection criteria, but would hold off on providing specific
advice listed above. I recognize that the board as a whole is a diverse
body and may be in position to offer guidance.

I just don't think it is my place either as a board member (need to trust
the marketing committee) or as a white male (can offer only concern, not
perspective).

Aside: This whole discussion has increased my respect for the conference
committee, this is tough stuff. I thank those who contribute positively as
part of the conference committee.