[Board] osgeo budget homework

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Dec 11 15:44:48 PST 2017

On 2017-12-11 6:17 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> By the same token for the last two meetings Jeff McKenna has wanted to
> discuss setting up a website committee. Jeff if you wish to peruse this
> discussion can we do so via email prior to the budget is set?

Sorry that was not me.

However in general yes we really need to work hard to gather volunteers
in the community, as we are trying now for the GeoData committee.  I
would like further champions to do that for the Finance Committee, the
Website Committee, and other committees that need some help. (put out a
call for volunteers, plan for next steps, then report activity to the
board).  As we are tackling the GeoData committee now, it would be great
for a few other volunteers to champion these other committees (just even
writing an email to Discuss to call for volunteers is a good first step).

In the case of the budget, I would like to see the Finance committee
working as the Conference committee does (those community members
knowledgeable of financial issues working together to develop a budget,
and then submit/recommend a working budget, for the OSGeo Board to then
approve).

This is a lot of work, but this way the work is distributed over our
whole community.

Thoughts?

Otherwise we are dissolving committees etc and the work falls up to the
board members, and we will then begin to suddenly ask a lot of the board
member's time.

Thanks for mentioning this, about volunteering.  I agree we really need
to start leveraging the whole community.

-jeff