[Board] Request: create a fund for GSoC students mobility managed by GSoC initiative

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 05:43:54 PST 2017

Would you be willing to form a committee or some kind of out reach
initiative for GSOC and code-in and others ... so we could assign a budget
in 2018? To work we would want to define a mandate to be comfortable
providing funds (rather than handle individual requests).
On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 3:39 AM Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Board,
>
> following up the previous request and consequent assignation of a travel
> grant for a GSoC sudent to attend FOSDEM: the travel grant was assigned, 2
> students had requested it, so I suggested the student to ask OSGeo
> conference committee for assignation of the same amount.
> But apparently the things are more complicated than I thought. So I
> consulted among GSoC admins and we came to the conclusion that the easier
> way to handle these kind of requests is to request the board a sum, we
> thought of 3000 USD, to create a fund, managed by GSoC admins, that would
> grant scholarships of 500 USD to GSoC-OSGeo students that intend to present
> their GSoC works in international conferences. The grants would be assigned
> on a first come first served basis.
> In this way we mean to promote the GSoC program with OSGeo, that in the
> course of the years has produced great new code and has helped many
> students to become developers for OSGeo.
> Managing this fund directly would mean for us to be able to overcome many
> decision layers that are currently inevitable, see the thread [1].
> We would be particularly grateful if you could discuss this request in
> your meeting today, sorry for short notice.
>
> Best regards and merry Xmas and happy new year to everyone.
>

> [1]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-December/004647.html
>
> --
> Margherita Di Leo