[Board] relationship with sub brands

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 5 15:15:45 PDT 2017

Regarding geoforall - treating it as a project with its own logo can be
done right away without further approvals - at least I think so.
Modifying the logo to match in terms of colors and font would be preferable
but I would be hesitant to do it without at least an advisory board
discussion and approval.

This is just my opinion, Helena

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an action item from today's marketing / website rebranding meeting
> to discuss use of sub brands with the board. This is starting to touch on
> the relationship we have worked out with GeoForAll, OSGeo Live, Local
> Chapters and OSGeo Projects.
>
> Here are the meeting notes:
>

>    -
>
>    Review of OSGeo Live branding history
>    -
>
>       Discussion on relationship between projects and osgeo
>       -
>
>       We have an answer about “Live” - it is a live demonstration of
>       software, rather than a static demo.
>       -
>
>       We have a strong relationship and we could ask OSGeo Live to use
>       the OSGeo logo unaltered, however that does not answer the general problem
>       (of how to work with sub brands)
>

>       -
>
>    Review of project branding, join OSGeo with branding in place
>    -
>
>       Approach: Ask project to host “OSGeo Project” (or “OSGeo Community)
>       branding with with logo on their website
>

>       -
>
>    Review of OSGeo Local Chapter branding, variations on OSGeo logo, etc..
>    -
>
>       Not sure we can provide enough guidance without weakening the OSGeo
>       brand
>       -
>
>       Take the same approach as for projects, local chapters can do their
>       own thing, but we ask for a “OSGeo Local Chapter” logo unaltered linking
>       back to osgeo website.
>       -
>
>       We understand that doing their own thing may involve local chapters
>       simply using the OSGeo logo unaltered and they are welcome to do so.
>

>       -
>
>    GeoForAll
>    -
>
>       This is a hard sub-brand because it is a collaboration between
>       OSGeo and external parties
>       -
>
>       Existing logo is much loved, and communicates well.
>       -

>       -
>
>          Treat GeoForAll like a normal project, we can adopt the same
>          information sheet layout and use the GeoForAll logo and website links at
>          the bottom
>          -
>
>          Update the logo to match, use the same two color and font
>          approach.
>          (this is the preference of geoforall volunteers making content)
>

> --
> Jody Garnett

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208