[Board] Stolen computer

Shin, Sanghee shshin at gaia3d.com
Thu Jul 27 21:27:43 PDT 2017

Dear Venka,

I agree with you and am really impressed with your full of consideration of dealing with this matter.

Cheers,
신상희 드림
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

보낸 사람: Venkatesh Raghavan
보낸 날짜: 2017년 7월 27일 목요일 오후 10:59
받는 사람: Jody Garnett; Michael Terner
참조: OSGeo Board
제목: Re: [Board] Stolen computer

Dear All,

Regarding the unfortunate theft of computer belonging to Nicolas and Niroshan
(and also some currency in case of Niroshan), I would like to express my sympathies
to Nicolas and Niroshan.

Niroshan is a student at my lab and the computer that he lost belongs to the university.
I will deal with this matter with my university authorities and take appropriate steps
to replace his computer with university funds.

For Nicolas, my good friend, the loss is even more heavy as the computer was his personal
one and contained months of his private work.

I deeply appreciate the kind gesture by Luca and others in requesting for Nicolas and Niroshan
to be compensated in some way for their loss. However, I think that OSGeo Board is in
no way responsible of such loss and feel that it would better not to set any precedence in
extending compensation for such unfortunate incidents, which I hope will never
occur in future.
The best OSGeo Foundation could do in their future events would be announce that while
the organizers take utmost case regarding the safety and security during the event, the organizers
are in no way responsible for loss/theft of personal property. Perhaps, organizers of future events
could think of providing cloak room facility for participants to officially handover personal belongings
for safe keep and receive a receipt for the same. Perhaps such facility could be nominally
charged.

Regarding the present incident, the information booklet of FOSS4G-Europe clearly states
on page 6 [1] "Insurance & Liability
Participants  are  adviced  to  provide  their  own
personal  insurance.  Neither  the  organisers  nor In2Events will assume any responsability
whatsoever for damage and injury to persons or property during the conference.", so it
will not be appropriate to affix responsibility for the loss to organizers. It would have been
a different case if the items were missing from an official cloak room with Nicolas and Niroshan
having an official receipt for the items deposited for safe keeping.

In light of the above, I am fine of helping on a personal level and am even willing to make my
contribution to compensate for loss of Nicolas's computer and Niroshan's cash (I will
find a way with our university authorities to compensate for his computer). I do not think
that it is appropriate to involve the OSGeo board and request them to deal with this matter
at an official level and also feeling that board voting on this matter by the board is not necessary.

I, once again, would like to express my sympathies to Nicolas and Niroshan for the loss
of their items and the anguish they had to undergo as a result. I also thank all our community
members for coming forward with offers of help and also thinking about ways of compensating
their loss.

If we as a community can come up with a plan to try and compensate at a personal level, I will
be most willing to make my contribution.

Best

Venka