[Board] Dear President [?????]

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Thu Nov 2 16:03:50 PDT 2017

Dear colleagues of OSGeo board of directors,

As I already mention in on one of my last CRO messages, in our public
communication, logic, facts and careful planing should prevail over our
emotions. Of course, the way we are feeling about open source geospatial
is the driving force of our involvement in OSGeo's board. However, our
public message/image should be a professional one. I don't suggest a
corporate attitude, I would like to just make everyone aware that our
entirely "world" is looking and us, expecting a balanced and
inspirational attitude. We should be careful to be open and inclusive
enough not to offend any flavor of our community members (of course,
those members that are also embrace our values). Somehow, we are not
there, even if it's in our mandate to behave this way. Everyone from the
community already knows that we accepted the director role because we
truly believe in FOSS values and our work and vision was awarded by
being voted in this position. We don't have to to repeat indefinitely
how great we and our ideas/values are (as individuals or as a
community). By doing so we will only dilute our message. We already know
that we are doing the right thing and we should have an well-balanced
message and attitude in order to convince others to join. Also, please
let's focus more on getting back the trust back in our community by
acting in a coherent and professional way (simple words are not enough).
By doing so we will also close the gaps that are currently dividing our
community.

Best,
Vasile

PS. This is not necessarily a response to the current thread. I know
that everyone involved acted in total good will. My original intention
was to send this message through board-priv mailing list. Anyway, I
decided to send this through the public board list as is something not
really related to the current situation/board.