[Board] Request for OSGeo Budget 2018

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Nov 14 23:49:51 PST 2017

Dear board,

thanks for reaching out to us for our budget plans for 2018. The only
budget the conference committees requests are funds for the travel grant
programme (TGP). In general we would request the board to raise our
resources as follows:

- 20k US$ for TGP for global FOSS4G

- 10k US$ for other TGP activities

(For the latter we still owe a concept, how to perform this, it's on my
list).

Why raising TGP for FOSS4G? As you all noticed, there have been long
discussions on "how to enable as many attendees as possible to join a
global FOSS4G" in the past and I think it's still going on. One focus on
this have been fees for the conference itself, but looking over the
total costs including flight, accommodation, entrance fee and food, it
is clear, that joining a FOSS4G, depending on where it is, can easily
cause costs up to 3k US$ and even more.

If we as foundation really want to enable more people to join these
events, we have to put more energy and money in here. I think, the
success-stories of the past TGP's are good examples for this.

We as Conference Committee are especially aware of the TGP and put an
emphasis on this topic by encouraging the teams of future FOSS4G's to
explain how they want to implement the TGP and what they can/are willing
contribute to it (starting crowd fundings, offer reduced fees for
grantees or whatever).

I'd suggest the following:

Raise the TGP for global FOSS4G's to 20k US$, if the LOC's

- offer reduced fees for the TGP (e.g. Early Bird for all grantees, as
TGP normally decides later)

- make efforts to raise the budget by other activities such as crowd
funding and/or requesting community members/participants to pay a
surplus (e.g.)

For 2018 I think that could be quite easy by just rededicating the
not-used 10k US$ from our 2017 budget, that were reserved for non-global
FOSS4G TGP's, as there haven't been any ;-)

If a general raise seems to be difficult, I'd like to request at least
to raise the funds for TGP for the "other regions" conference, as they
are prone to attract people from parts of the world, where we are not
that strong as in Europe or NA. I think the Dar conference is a good
example for this.

Happy to answer your questions,

Till