[Board] New rules for OSGeo committees

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 11:08:41 PDT 2017

The board discussed the topic last year after the events you describe.

- https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-11-03
- https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-11-25

The action was taken to ask committees to write down how they operate as a
formal document for the website (giving the board an opportunity to review
as required).

As an example the incubation committee has responded here
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator (see "Committee Operation").

Not all committees have responded, and were not asked for an update during
the AGM.

You know my own take on this, it is worth negotiation with committee
members to see what will work. The incubation committee has gradually
relaxed from IRC meeting to the email procedures you see now.

I personally like the GeoServer requirement that -1 votes carry the
responsibility of providing an alternative. It is worth noting that even
when the veto requests that things remain the same  is awkward when the
request is for things to stay the same, since it does not carry the same
burden of responsibility to negotiate

--
Jody Garnett