[Board] Budgeting project event support for 2018

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Sep 26 14:36:43 PDT 2017

Anita,

See inline . . .

On Sep 26, 2017, at 4:24 PM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at<mailto:anitagraser at gmx.at>> wrote:

It might be helpful to see what was actually accomplished by each requester this year as well.  May including a breakdown of expenditures if possible.

​I understand the intention. That information would certainly be interesting to understand what this kind of events are like budget-wise. That said, I also hope to keep the bureaucratic overhead to a minimum for everyone involved. I don't think we need a breakdown of expenditures for the purpose of budgeting OSGeo for 2018. ​How about asking for an estimate of overall event budget and OSGeo funding share for 2017 events?

Agreed on this last.  I fully intended it to be a casual ask sort of thing, and purely voluntary.  I was thinking about an itemized expense list from the past year might be a good method for requesting for the next year, etc.  At least if the numbera are taken with a Grain of salt.  :c)

We never even went after any of the requested funding from last year, mostly because this is the first I heard of anything getting ratified on the idea.

We have a bunch of stuff coming up in the next couple of months for example, and a few more ideas for longer term this year as well.  We’ve got a bit of momentum going after releasing GeoMoose 3.0. The GeoMoose project has even set up a fical agent for this sort of thing since requesting monies last year.

If you ask me, this Project management stuff is way harder that just coding.  :c)  .  But it seems worthwhile

bobb

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
—A. A. Milne