[Board] Fwd: How to retire membership status?

Sara sara at sarasafavi.com
Tue Dec 4 12:07:45 PST 2018

Hi Cameron,

Replying publicly since you said you didn't mind.

To answer your question of why I am leaving OSGeo: the short answer is that
I no longer wish to be affiliated with an organization that prefers to
silence rather than support its minority* voices. A longer answer follows.

Guido did a good job of summarizing much of the context earlier this year
(1). As a voting member of the organization, who was and still is
passionate about tending the garden of free & open source geospatial
software, in mid-2018 I chose to continue asking an OSGeo Partner (2) to
publicly share financial information that they previously claimed existed
and promised to make available (3). As a volunteer whose efforts directly
contributed to the salaries paid to this Partner's employees, I believed
that ensuring promises of transparency were kept was important and the
right thing to do.

As a result of my efforts, I was told by various OSGeo members to "let this
go", "get over it", and "just drop it". An OSGeo officer told me my
"demands" were "not appropriate", and attempted to threaten my employment
(4). Ultimately I cared more about my job than about OSGeo and
transparency, so I went silent and stepped back from all volunteer efforts.

To this date, as far as I am aware that promised financial transparency was
never fulfilled. No statements were retracted, no apologies were issued.
The OSGeo officer who tried to threaten my employment is still listed at
https://www.osgeo.org/about/board/ and remains in good standing among the
community. The Partner organization remains a Partner. I was very
effectively silenced by an OSGeo officer, the OSGeo community appeared more
than happy to allow the issue to fade out of memory, and to carry on as
usual. Likewise I carry no hope that the organization can or will change,
or that things might transpire any differently in the future. I no longer
have anything in common with OSGeo, and the community at large has made my
standing clear. Please let me retire my membership and move on to invest my
efforts in other, more constructive & more welcoming venues.

1) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4GNA_Afterward
2) https://www.osgeo.org/partners/locationtech/
3a) https://twitter.com/TheaClay/status/992394814749577217
3b) https://twitter.com/TheaClay/status/993584128279957504
4) https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2018-June/004774.html

*Although the gender power imbalance in this particular case is worth
noting, don't misunderstand me: I'm referring specifically to a voice which
amplifies a controversial or unpopular opinion as "minority" here.