[Board] Collaboration with the National GeoTech Center of Excellence

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 08:38:20 PST 2019

OSGeo has the GeoForAll group devoted to educational an open education, and
the majority of our partnerships are via this initiative. My understanding
is we are very interested in forming partnerships of this nature, others
here can speak more to this program.

Keep in mind our primary contribution is free software, while we are
experimenting with finically supporting some of our community activities
that does not extend to supporting partners directly. We will consider cross
sponsorship for equal amounts of having sponsors is important to your
story, we tend to focus joint activities instead.

Our travel grant program was set up in part to increase diversity and is
available me to students.  We hope to increase our budget for this program
in 2019. This is an application process rather than a sponsorship.  We will
need to recruiters participants to review applications in order to run a
travel grant program for foss4gna - perhaps you would like to help?

We are open to setting up booth swaps or speaking engagements if there is
opportunity. Our ability to do so depends on our community members having
plans to attend your event.

I am glad you are seeing success and hope we can be part of that success in
the year ahead.

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 5:57 PM Cheung, Wing <wcheung at palomar.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> My name is Wing Cheung, and I am an Assistant Director with the National
> Science Foundation funded GeoTech Center of Excellence (
> http://www.geotechcenter.org/) and a Professor of GIS/Geography at
> Palomar College, San Marcos, CA. The GeoTech Center’s mission is to prepare
> students for the geospatial workforce by providing educators and students
> with geospatial curriculum and training opportunities. I was wondering if
> the OSGeo Board is interested in formalizing a no-cost partnership with the
> GeoTech Center. We are grateful for what the Open Source Geospatial
> Foundation is already doing in terms of its support of our annual
> Geospatial Technology Student Skills Competition
> http://www.geotechcenter.org/2019-geospatial-technology-skills-competition.html
> , and we will like to explore additional collaboration opportunities such
> as sponsoring educational participants from community colleges at
> FOSS4G-NA, or presenting at each other’s conferences (our annual conference
> is GeoEd http://www.geotechcenter.org/geoed-19.html).
>

> Our current list of partners include organizations such as ASPRS, GISCI,
> URISA, and others. http://www.geotechcenter.org/center-partners.html
>

> Thank you,
>

> Wing Cheung PhD, GISP
>
> Professor of Geography and GIS,
>
> Assistant Director of National Geospatial Technology Center of Excellence,
>
> Department Chair of Earth, Space and Environmental Sciences,
>
> Palomar College, San Marcos, CA 92069
>
> (760)744-1150 ext.3652 <%28760%297441150%20ext.3652>

Jody Garnett