[California] Informal Meeting in Stockton?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Mar 10 19:32:55 EST 2010

Is anyone listening?

I'd like to offer up my home as a meeting location for an informal
spring/summer meeting of our OSGeo Chapter. (Actually, I'd like to offer
up my garage.) I've got WIFI access and a small barbeque. I thought a
meeting might help us kick-start some activity from our chapter, which
has been relatively quiet the last couple of months.

Here are some things we might discuss at the meeting:

-          What remaining steps do we need to take, if any, to become an
official chapter?

-          What can we do to get the open geospatial access award off
the ground this year? (Maybe this will motivate me to prepare a
preliminary award certificate that we can discuss at the meeting.)

-          What do we want to do as a chapter about our web presence and
possibly a newsletter?

-          Can I get any of you involved in contributing articles to the
OSGeo Journal?

-          Are there local or state issues we can start to get involved
in as a group?

-          What opportunities are there for collaboration with other
organizations in California? (I was recently invited to sit on the GIS
committee of the California Land Surveyors Assocation. This might
provide some collaboration opportunities.)

-          What software projects are we working on?

I think this type of cross-pollination is especially important in a bad
job market. You never know when this type of community involvement and
networking will pay off.

At any rate, I'm making my garage available and I'm willing to pay for
some food. If others are interested in seeing our fledgling chapter be
more active, then this would be a good opportunity. I know Stockton
isn't close to everyone, but I've got DSL at the house and we might be
able to hook up some type of mobile connection for others. (This is not
my area of expertise.)

I'm also part of a local LUG, and I can see if some of those guys would
be interested in attending.

Saturday and Sunday afternoons/evenings work best for me, but I could
also swing a Friday afternoon event.

Landon

Warning: