[California] Informal Meeting in Stockton?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 11 02:04:37 EST 2010

My comments are inline:

Landon Blake wrote:
> Is anyone listening?
>

> Here are some things we might discuss at the meeting:

It is about time we have another meeting, once a year is the mandate.
The question becomes do we want to make it some other event or attach to
some other event to draw more interest.

Ideas:
Open Cartography Symbol Sprint(Sit around and make lots of public domain
art ready to be used as symbology in open source map apps - Park
Service, USGS etc...)

Bug Hunt (Sit around in a room and find,repeat and report bugs) - they
did one for QGIS in Moscow a few months ago

In conjunction with California Geographical Society, Where 2.0, CalGIS,
or something like that.

> -          What remaining steps do we need to take, if any, to become an
> official chapter?

Nominate an official OSGeo board liason (I'm told this person can change
every year), and send a letter to the OSGeo board asking to be accepted
as a chapter (can be an email)

> -          What can we do to get the open geospatial access award off
> the ground this year? (Maybe this will motivate me to prepare a
> preliminary award certificate that we can discuss at the meeting.)

Nomination procedure, Judging criteria - or we make a list get together
and pick one.

> -          What do we want to do as a chapter about our web presence and
> possibly a newsletter?

If you want to write a newsletter, by all means. I think a blog with our
events/news of interest might suffice for both.

> -          Can I get any of you involved in contributing articles to the
> OSGeo Journal?
>
> -          Are there local or state issues we can start to get involved
> in as a group?
>
> -          What opportunities are there for collaboration with other
> organizations in California? (I was recently invited to sit on the GIS
> committee of the California Land Surveyors Assocation. This might
> provide some collaboration opportunities.)
>
> -          What software projects are we working on?
>
> Landon

A few selected answers,
Alex