[Conference-europe] when and where

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Thu Aug 21 10:02:38 PDT 2014

On 21-08-14 18:26, Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
> On 21 August 2014 17:43, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
>> On 21-08-14 11:03, Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
>>> On 21 August 2014 10:50, Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Number of IT events grow every year, so it's become more important to
>>> have a topic, than make a huge one-for-all event.
>>> IMHO, main focus of OSGeo/FOSS4G is software and data, and all
>>> activities that are closely related.
>>> From what I see, general discussions about INSPIRE or OGC are not
>>> particularly interesting topics to our community,
>>> unless we talk about a particular standard, its implementation(s) and
>>> related issues.
>> I don't follow this one,
>>
>> I don't mean a huge one-for-all event when I try to align place and time
>> with other EU conferences
>> [...]
> I think there is a slight misunderstanding here, I meant one-for-all
> in terms of range of topics. Perhaps I'm too concerned about too
> wide spectrum of topics (or rather level of interest).
For the Foss4G-Europe conference, I follow to focus on a specific
relevant topic.
>> - OSGeo/FOSS4G roots are in software development, later extended to
>> cover other aspects
>> [...]
>> If you concentrate people around a specific topic, you don't have the
>> opportunity to meet people face to face, having different visions, views
>> and idea's. Cross domain brain storming is IMHO very important to bring
>> OSGeo to a next level.
> I understand it, let's not forget the size of the target audience (200 ppl).
> We have cross domain discussions and discussion which can also happen
> at different planes of technical levels.
OK clear to me.

> Big question: Assuming variety of domains, do we aim for
> 1) hands-on users and  developers of FOSS4G or
> 2) mixture of executives, managers, govt. representatives and developers?
> IMHO, we should aim the 1).
I think the community is more then 1), but if be organize the conference
at the same place/time as some other conferences where
executives/managers and govt. representatives can go to (with their
respective topics), i'd like to motivate some developers (or
ex-developers like me) to bridge the gap between all these different
parts of the big OSGeo family.

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne