[Conference-europe] when and where

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 22 00:56:25 PDT 2014

El 22/08/14 a las #4, Mateusz Łoskot escribió:
> On 22 August 2014 02:24, Karel Charvat <charvat at ccss.cz> wrote:
>> I think, that umber of attendants is something, what is difficult predictable. Not so easy to reach 200 attendants.
>>
>> I am all time thinking, how to do something, what could attract larger community. It seems to me, that till now we didn’t succeed to attract commercial sector to broader participation. Seems to me, that maximum 5 - 10 percent of companies, who are using Open Source GI technologies, are participating on such events.
>
> Good points Karel.
>
>> More and more of so called Apps developers including independent developers is out of communities very often utilising other products or starting from scratch.  Seems for me critical, how to attract people.
>
> program + time + location
> where the program is what we've got full control of, the two other are
> more objective decisions/limitations

A workshops day is always welcomed by technical people. Not demo or
tutorials but something like 3 or 4 hours workshops where people get
their hands dirty. It's also an excuse for people to attend being paid
by their employers, both lecturers and attenders.

I think having that kind of activity well described on the offer of a
venue should be an important point on the selection criteria.

My 2ct.

--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
http://es.osgeo.org