[Workshops] Draft FOSS4G Workshop Schedule

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Thu Mar 20 11:56:09 PDT 2014

A big thanks to Neil, Jacob, and Chris who helped hammer out the draft schedule over an extended google hangout.

It is available here: http://goo.gl/okECJ5

For the workshop presenters, please look it over and see if there are conflicts or suggestions for improvements. We tried to make sure that introductory labs came before more advanced ones, and that related labs didn’t conflict.

Please note: the room assignments, where they exist, are merely placeholders. The capacities for each lab, however, are correct. Final room assignments will come at a later date. We’re also working on acquiring some larger computer labs on campus than the ones we currently have reserved.

We will need to finalize the schedule by the 28th so we can be ready to open registration on April 1st.

How we will plan for capacity

Because some of the labs have different capacities, our plan is to make all lab-based workshops initially limited to 20 participants. As the workshops start to fill up we will assign the popular ones to a larger lab and increase the space accordingly. (Obviously we won’t change the time, just the location.)

Non lab-based workshops will have a larger initial capacity, dictated primarily by the instructor’s request, but I’m inclined to set them all no higher than 40, at least to begin with.

If you are currently slotted in a lab and would like to move to a BYOD format, we’re very happy to accommodate, just let us know. We can acquire all the BYOD rooms we could possibly want.

When a workshop fills up, we will create a “wait list” so we can notify interested parties if/when more space becomes available. There’s also the possibility, if the instructor is willing, of adding an additional day of workshops (probably on Sunday) and repeating the workshop.

Suggestions for improvements to this process are very welcome.

Darrell