[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G 2007

venka.osgeo venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 22:41:58 EDT 2006

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I don't think you're "getting it", Venka.

Sorry, looking from my side, don't think you are "getting it"
either.

> The "brand" is "OSGeo". By
> making other things (FOSS4G) equivalent to "OSGeo" you are reducing the
> potency of the "OSGeo" mark.  This is why "Coke" doesn't also market
> "SooperDrink, it's just like Coke".

"Coke" is not the only (or good) example.

"Toyota" very successfully markets "Lexus"
"NTT" very successfully markets "DOCOMO"
"Panasonic" very successfully markets "Let's Note"
"Sony" very successfully markets "Vaio"
"Sharp" very successfully markets "Aquios"
"Honda" very successfully markets "Asimo"
"Suzuki" very successfully markets "Maruti" (in India)
"IBM" (now Lenova) successfully market "ThinkPad"

and this list could go on and on...

> Parenthetically, I have to also admit, as a native English speaker, that
> it took me some time to stop reflexively thinking "that's the stupidest
> goddamn acronym I've ever heard" whenever I heard/read someone use thing
> term "FOSS".  Trust me, it sounds really dumb.

My whole contention is that geoinformatics technology has
to be localized and not only cater "native English speaker"s
English being the only language that I can use comfortably
for my written communication (maybe that qualifies me a to be
called "native English" user), FOSS does not sound "dumb" to
me or many of my other colleagues that I am associated with.

Regards

Venka