[OSGeo-Conf] Conf for 2008

Jeremy Morley jmorley at ge.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 12:36:17 EDT 2007

> On 3/26/07, *Tim Bowden* <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
> <mailto:tim.bowden at westnet.com.au>> wrote:
>

>     Lead time:  Experience with lca has shown that it takes a local user
>     group about two years to get to the point where they can make a
>     successful bid to hold the conf.  In part this might be because every
>     conf gets better, but it takes a lot of volunteer manpower and learning
>     be in a position to make a go of it.  The lead time once the successful
>     bidding team has been chosen has been extended to 18 months from 12
>     months.  There is just too much to do for a conf of that size to be
>     organised by volunteers in 12 months.  LA has looked at the option of
>     using a professional conf organiser, but has rejected it several times
>     because it would drive up costs and change the character of the conf
>     away from being a grassroots event.  I don't know if that's so, but it's
>     the decision that has been made several times.

I'd just add to the discussion the request that an RFQ/RFI/whatever goes
out soon (by end of April?) for hosts for 2008. We at UCL are still
possibly interested with September 2008 in mind, but we're down to
around 18 months lead time now, excluding allowing time for responses
from interested groups and the selection of the winner. I agree with Tim
that this needs a good run up to stand a chance of organising with a
volunteer team, having to organise hardware, etc.

Regards,
Jeremy Morley

--
Jeremy Morley                     |   Dept. Geomatic Engineering,