[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Discussion

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Thu Apr 16 07:56:12 EDT 2009

I vote for [A]

Some comments that I guess should have gone onto the wiki a while ago:

The annual international conference is the flagship and has a unique
role including taking the message global and being the main meeting of
the tribes. The interaction of the core 'FOSS4G heads' that follow it
every year no matter where and the regional folk who are close enough to
attend, keeps it fresh, interesting and full of pleasant surprises. So
it's important to keep that going with all OSGeo's weight behind it.

Definitely include the expression of interest phase. I like the idea of
a NA-Europe-Other rotation but as a philosophy only. So, state it up
front in the RFP but if no EOIs come from the intended region or a
really compelling one comes from another region, be open to variations.
Let the EOI process reveal our implicit biases if you will.

As a special case for 2011 (and possibly beyond), I think it would be
only fair to invite previously unsuccessful yet high quality contenders
to submit EOIs. If they're then invited to do a full bid most of the
homework is done.

Definitely encourage and support regional or language-based conferences,
i.e. following the pattern of the Local Chapters. I think OSGeo needs to
develop a policy somewhat like this:

<regional conference policy>

OSGeo will endorse and support one conference per year per local
chapter, to be called 'FOSS4G <local chapter name> <year>' and be
considered an official OSGeo event, bearing the OSGeo logo, etc.

One exception: The country that is hosting the International FOSS4G
conference won't qualify for any official regional FOSS4G conferences in
the same year.

It is completely up to the local chapters to make these events happen if
they so wish.

The conference has to meet these simple criteria:
<list of simple conditions tbd>

OSGeo will provide support in the form of ....

OSGeo may choose to send a member of the conference committee.

The conference must be advertised widely and be open to anyone (i.e. not
restricted to the Local Chapter).

Existing regional conferences with different names (e.g. German FOSSGIS
and Italian GFOSS?) can get the regional OSGeo FOSS4G stamp if they or
the local chapter so wish and they meet the criteria.

</regional conference policy>

General comments:
Define what is meant by OSGeo support at regional and international
levels and be consistent with that. E.g. the RFP stated that OSGeo would
provide bridging funds yet we could not access these for 2008 and would
not have managed our cash flow without the local support of GISSA. And
what other forms of support are available or envisaged? Website, wiki
etc.

Tighten up the RFP and make the EOI and final selection processes more
transparent.

Make a decision about conference website hosting and software and stick
with it and support it wholeheartedly. I feel 2008 was a bit of guinea
pig with OCS and it seems like 2009 has moved to yet another home grown
solution(s), which makes our aim of consistency and guranteed long term
availability of conference outputs difficult.

Move the RFP process even earlier again so we have AT LEAST two years
lead time for the international FOSS4G and set a few milestones to
ensure the LOC is on track an using that time properly, such as budget
approval, securing sponsorship, etc.

Consider alternatives (such as the second-in-line bidder) as a
contingency if the winner doesn't meet major deadlines or suffers a
disaster. A real-life example is the last minute move of the massive
Indian Cricket IPL (http://www.iplt20.com) to South Africa with three
weeks notice (The decision was made on 23 March and it's starting on
Saturday) because it clashed with Indian elections.

Gavin

This message is intended for the addressee only.
Information and attachments in this e-mail may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful,
and could result in a claim against you.