[OSGeo-Conf] Re:FOSS4G Conference Presentations and an academictrack

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue May 26 12:43:10 EDT 2009

On 21-May-09, at 5:27 PM, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
> 2) Create a representative scientific committee (this can start right
> now; some other members can be added later), by:

FYI - we have just been starting to good sized set of reviewers for
the OSGeo Journal - many of them would be interested and capable for
this committee.  At any point some of the discussion can be moved
over to that list if you like.

> 3) Making all possible contacts with reputed journals/books, to
> start a
> reference publication related to OSGeo/FOSS4G. Thierry suggestion make
> sense; we can work with other institutions like ICA and alike to have
> the best possible printed publication, if we don't have enough high
> quality papers to create our own volume.
>
> 4) Install and configure an open source platform to handle the blind
> reviewing process (that's easy; OpenConf can be used for the job). The
> reviewing process will take place in August.

We also have the Open Journal System (OJS) available if needed.

Also, please note that the OSGeo Journal already has an ISSN (serial
publication number) but not ISBN.  If there was any interest in
having a special edition of OSGeo Journal, we could make it work.
I'd personally love to see the Journal used for this purpose as it's
a valuable resource, though I recognise that some authors might
rather prefer a commercial publisher.

I'm unclear about the need to have its own ISBN when many papers are
presented in Journals regularly which would have ISSN, but last year
that was a limitation.

Tyler