[OSGeo-Conf] 2012 Final Step: Voting

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Aug 30 19:36:17 EDT 2011

Arnulf and Cameron,

As somewhat of a bystander I'm glad to see that there is at least some kind
of discussion happening in public.  I'm not suggesting it all should be though.
I assume it happens extensively in private each year so that all the voters
can debate and discuss the merits, but it's a good reminder to know it
happens.  Especially for those who bid, to know that it wasn't just a flip
of a coin. Though no one is suggesting that, it is more encouraging to
know the individual reasons.

>> The advantage of having such a cycle, and sticking to it, is that we
>> will find it much easier in planning and marketing our conferences.
> To me the marketing aspect is not the primary motivation.

For me the planning aspect is important.  As I talk to others who really
want to host a "better" event, they need (and want) to plan ahead to make
it happen.

I'm interested in seeing how OSGeo can help encourage more regional
events but since they are highly dependent on local chapters,
in many ways, they don't need the kind of higher level support that is put
toward the international FOSS4G event.  I see a good need for a "one and only
event" into the future, though if it can spawn off others, then I hope we can
discuss how to make that happen.

My two bits,
Tyler