[OSGeo-Conf] name of the game (conference-cee)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 5 16:43:44 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
> Back in 2008, Paul Ramsey and I saw this coming, and actually requested to
> OSGeo for permissions to create a north american conference (this request
> was declined).

Jeff,

I do not recall this request being declined.  I remember it being
subjected to lengthy discussion and an effort to develop an
encompassing policy which took so long that the idea was
eventually dropped.  I believe that it was also slightly different
in that the intent was to "OSGeo Brand" this commercial
event as opposed to a advocacy group (like a local chapter)
operating an event on a non-profit basis (or profit going to
a chapter or foundation).

While I am supportive of the FOSS4G name being used
reasonably broadly, using the OSGeo name to certify
an event is something that needs to be managed more
carefully.  Of course, local OSGeo chapters can do so
within their contexts to some extent.

Best regards,