[OSGeo-Conf] name of the game (conference-cee)

Karel Charvat charvat at ccss.cz
Thu Oct 6 01:25:33 EDT 2011

Hi, I think, that now is most important to take decision soon. We are now in
situation, that we already agreed data, facilities and we are planning to
start promoting next week. Yes we can start with some neutral name of
conference, if necessary, but it will be better not changing names during
period.
What I see as plus using name FOSS4G- region is some relation with
communities. I agree, that in such case has to be agreed with conference
committees some common rules to guarantee protection of brand.
To go with independent could give to organisations more freedom, any
decision will depend on them.
>From the point of view of building brand probably first way could be good,
but in such case ha to be discussed some minimal requirements for regional
convergences and also eventually some methods of assessment or self
assessment. What could be useful, that such way will help to bring brands
FOSS4G or OS GEO to users. All brands are now very well known by
communities, but in many cases till now was not recognised by users
(minimally in our country). For Czech user community till now exist mainly
GRASS, GeoNetwork, GeoServer, etc,
But it is question of marketing strategy of OSGEO.

But as told Jachym, any decision is acceptable, but we need it soon
Karel