[OSGeo-Conf] name of the game (conference-cee)

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Oct 6 10:26:56 EDT 2011

On 2011/10/06 3:33 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I am not sure those voting now realize the impact of the name in this
> case.
>
> Yes I am aware of the OSGeo-JP history with the FOSS4G name.

With "FOSS4G" already in use for circumstances other than the
annual OSGEO conference, one option is to have that type of
usage continue, and "re-brand" the annual OSGEO conference.
For example, "OSGEO-2020" or "OSGEO-CON 2020", etc.

> If FOSS4G-NorthAmerica and FOSS4G-Europe move forward, this will mark
>  the end of the FOSS4G annual event (that I've put almost 10 years of
> my life into). There will be no more meeting of the tribe.

A properly managed change of name of the annual OSGEO conference
should not cause the demise of that conference. However, having
a series of geographically-distributed conferences, with similar
content/structure to the annual OSGEO conference, may well spell
the end of the annual conference, regardless of the name(s) used
for the geographically-distributed conferences.

--
Dave Patton
Victoria, B.C.

Degree Confluence Project: