[OSGeo-Conf] Re: Motion Regarding FOSS4G-CEE Name

David Percy percyd at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 11 18:59:59 EDT 2011

FWIW, our local chapter, PDX-OSGEO (Portland, OR, USA), has put on a
local unconference the last two years with attendance in the 75 to 100
range. It is free to attend, we pay for light refreshments with money
from Google Summer of Code, and I get the rooms for free as a faculty
member at the university.

I had been thinking about proposing to our group that we re-brand it
FOSS4G-PNW (pacific northwest, for the international crowd) next year,
but this talk about paying to use the name sort of scares me off.
We're not generating any money here...

Anyway, as a small regional yearly north america event, I thought it
might be good to give that perspective. We have our event every
Spring, around March or April, in conjunction with the local regional
event called GIS in Action (a 2-day normal commercial GIS event which
costs $200 per registrant...).

We typically have 2 concurrent tracks on the unconference day,
followed by an optional day of code-sprinting.

back to lurk-mode :-)

Cheers,
Percy
Portland State University