[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Bid Q&A Period

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Thu Jul 4 03:12:19 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I very much like that option! It is low key and gives a useful option for people that can't join the conference. And in fact, people should come to the conference. That generates income that can be used for all kind of OSGeo activities. Stimulating people to follow livestream / video recordings only cost money. It seems a little contradicting.

No need to explain I still think there are 1000 reasons someone can not come and offering recordings is very good for them.

Maybe that should then also become budget neutral? If there are enough people paying / subscribing to a livestreaming track of the conference, they have all the options to follow the presentations while staying home. They save money on travel and registration, but pay a fee to cover for the streaming (or recorded) sessions. I can see lots of benefits. Larger audience, but less people physically present. Registration cost can go down, no competition between participating in real life or being remote, ultimately maybe even more revenue to OSGeo.

Cheers,
Jeroen