[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Bid Q&A Period - recording presentations

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 16:14:39 PDT 2013

On 5/07/2013 8:26 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >1. Provide a web portal or similar for the general public to link to, and/or
>> >upload conference videos.
> YouTube, Vimeo, have existed for a long while.
>
>> >2. Invite presenters to ask a friend to record them.
>> >3. Invite presenters to edit their own presentations. (provide a HOWTO
>> >showing how to do this).
> This seems beyond polyanna'ish. How much of this is happening now
> organically (hint: none)

Not quite none.

Your famous FOSS4G 2009 speech was captured on a handheld, and was our
fallback because the main recording didn't work:
http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2009/10/foss4g-2009-keynote.html

I've personally had friends record a few of my presentations. Eg:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/script-for-how-to-sell-open-source-to.html

I acknowledge that it is not done often, but it would be relatively easy
to set up (and is a very viable option for a shoe-string budget regional
or local foss4g event).

--
Cameron Shorter
Software and Data Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial & Data Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com