[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Bid Q&A Period - recording presentations

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Thu Jul 4 17:37:52 PDT 2013

On 07/04/2013 07:48 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 5/07/2013 9:13 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
>> On 07/04/2013 06:40 PM, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:

>>> Yes, for State of the Map US at least. That's who I got my numbers
>>> from, though I added about 20% to be safe. :)
>>>
>>> d.
>>
>> Just in case it's useful information, my team recorded SotM 2011 for
>> $1500. We've done other similar sized conferences (3 rooms, 2 days)
>> like PGCon, BSDCan, FSOSS, etc. for the same. Travel costs to exotic
>> locations aside, the costs seem to scale roughly linear for larger
>> events like FOSS4G, EclipseCon, etc.
>
> Andrew, it would be useful to understand the variables used to
> calculate recording costs, as I'd expect to see different constants
> resulting in a $1500 cost for SotM vs $50,000 or $67,000 cost for FOSS4G.

Cameron,

Here's a formula that might help understand the basic factors:
(number of rooms * cost per room per day * number of days) + travel costs

There are different solutions to do this which affect the costs.

Cost per room per day might be broken down to labour cost and equipment
cost per day. These are the differentiating factor.

This is an interesting topic. Not without complexity and many options.

Here are a few observations:
1) The videos in Washington D.C. will cost approximately 1/10th of the
estimate amount from the Portland proposal & roughly 1% of the budget.
2) They would be done by a team that has much experience recording large
conferences including two past FOSS4G's.
3) The finished product is excellent and posted in YouTube where the are
accessible to anyone for free.
4) The community values the videos and feels they are important.

Andrew