[OSGeo-Conf] [Foss4g2013] presentation selection [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 24 13:28:08 PDT 2013

On 25/05/13 00:07, Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2013/05/23 2:16 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> Karel,
>> I like your idea of having an automated system for providing feedback to
>> presenters, and think a system could be worked out.
>>
>> There could be standard feedback options of:
>> * Congratulations, you have been selected
>> * Sorry, community ranked you low
>> * Due to multiple presentations on this topic, your presentation was not
>> selected
>> * Due to multiple presentations from you, this presentation was not
>> selected
>> * ... and a few others
>>
>> Next step:
>> * Someone updates our voting software to provide this functionality
>> * Then update our FOSS4G Cookbook with a Howto run a selection process
>
> How about using a mechanism such as the Google Summer of Code
> for a project that installs/configures the current voting
> software on an OSGeo server (i.e. for use by every FOSS4G LOC,
> so they don't have to "roll their own"), along with enhancements
> to the software to implement additional functionality?

We are not short of good ideas, and there are many different ways to set
up a vote selection system.

But what counts is someone stepping forward and making it happen. We are
blessed to have a community full of passionate software engineers who
have created some amazing software, so a solution is very achievable
with sufficient motivation.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager